Wednesday 11 April 2012

Leonardo's Bridge

I thought I would dedicate this blog post to telling you a little about the background picture of my blog. It is a model, which I made of hazel branches, of a bridge designed by Leonardo da Vinci. A sixteenth century equivalent to the Bailey Bridge, he designed it as a rapid way of crossing a river using simple timber logs to construct a self- supporting arch bridge.

My version of Leonardo's creation is mounted on a cheese board (of which I have made many since living in France for a year in 2000), made from a plank of an old oak wine barrel with two silver metal handles that I bought from IKEA.

I decided to copy it to see if it worked, which it did, and as another use for these lovely long straight hazel branches.



For a more decent picture of Leonardo's original bridge, click here



No comments:

Post a Comment